Monday, February 7, 2011

Sin

What does it mean when Christians say "Jesus died for our sins"? This is something I always had trouble with. I mean, I understand the official explanation: God sacrificed Himself for to pay for our sins, which we have thanks to Adam and Eve, who God created in the first place, so we wouldn't have to. But what the heck does that mean? I think the problem is in thinking in terms of cause and effect. These aren't empirical facts, it doesn't matter if these events REALLY happened like that. What is important is what they mean in our lives.

So I like to look at it like this: Jesus died to show us the unconditional love of God. What could be a more pure expression of love then for God to become human and die? No matter what you do, who you are, you are forgiven. God still loves you.

No comments: